Whether attending public school, private school, or homeschool, most students have started a new school year. There is something exciting about new books, new supplies, and a new start! I used to give a library presentation where I talked about developing I.C. – “Intellectual Curiosity”! So many adventures await when we are curious and willing to learn new things.
Always remember that organizing is a learned skill! A few new habits and routines can eliminate stress, save time, and make a refreshing difference in your busy school days. Decide to learn something new!
TEN TOOLS & TIPS FOR SCHOOL SUCCESS FOR STUDENTS OF ALL AGES
- ALARM CLOCK—Start your day at a predetermined time; get up and get moving! Know how long it really takes to shower, dress, and eat. Then leave so you arrive 5 minutes early. Go to bed at about the same time every night. The consistent sleep will help you think clearly and have more energy!
- CALENDAR/PLANNER –Record all information (school assignments, job schedule, sports practice, music lessons, family events, church events, and social engagements) in one place, such as a planner or 3-ring binder. Having it all in one place helps you to have a realistic view of how you use your available time.
- ORGANIZER FOR SUPPLIES—Gather all of your supplies into one convenient place. I used an over-the-door shoe organizer! Having everything all together makes them so much easier to find and to put away. Replenish the supplies before you actually need them so they are always in stock and ready to use. Take advantage of the lower prices at the beginning of the school year.
- TIMER—Use an old-fashioned kitchen timer. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Turn off all electronic devices. Truly concentrate on the homework assignment, task, or project. Do not multi-task! It really doesn’t help you get more done. Focus on one thing at a time—and finish it! Take a 5 minute break. Repeat as necessary to finish the assignment.
- SPIRAL NOTEBOOKS—Label one for each class or subject. Write all notes in the spiral notebook and do not tear out the pages. Color coordinate to match the textbook if you want!
- BINDERS—Label one for each class or subject. Hole punch any extra handouts and add to the notebook. The spiral notebook for the class can be inserted at the front of the notebook.
- MANILA FILE FOLDERS—Create files for important information. This really does not need to be complicated or fancy. Just create a home for important papers. Clearly label the folder. Put in alphabetical order in a plastic crate or file drawer. No more paper piles!
- MAKE YOUR BED EVERY MORNING—This will take about 2 minutes! Your room will look great!
- HANG UP YOUR CLOTHES—This will take about 3 minutes! Your clothes will look neat! Set out every night the clothes and shoes you plan to wear the next day.
- BREAK DOWN BIG PROJECTS AND ASSIGNMENTS INTO LITTLE STEPS—Do one part of the project each day until it is finished. You will be amazed at your accomplishments!
- Bonus tip: DO THE HARDEST THINGS FIRST, THEN THE REST WILL BE SO MUCH EASIER!
Let me know in the comments section below what strategies make the school year low-stress for your family!