Unfinished tasks drain our mental energy. We also waste a lot of paper rewriting our “to-do” lists as we continually carry forward these unfinished items. It is easy to feel very inefficient when you see so many neglected projects or tasks. It really is quite annoying!
I introduced the “FINISH IT FRIDAY” idea back in February. The basic idea is this: it might help to schedule a specific time every Friday to finally finish at least one task. I like doing this on Friday because then it is easier to enjoy the weekend! Some tasks make take only 5 or 10 minutes, while others may take an hour. You might even decide that you will never actually do a certain project or activity and eliminate it completely from all future lists! That is perfectly okay. At any rate, you will be doing yourself a favor by accomplishing the task and bring it to full completion.
What makes the most sense to finish up during the summer?
- Purge, sort, and donate clothes and shoes; enjoy doing less laundry!
- Purge, sort, and file school papers in a notebook; keep only the best from each year!
- Purge, sort, and donate all extra sports equipment.
- Donate books your children have outgrown or no longer read, CDs you won’t listen to again, and DVDs you won’t watch again to your local library.
- Refresh your writing skills and send a real letter in the mail to a dear friend!
- Finally send those thank you notes, no matter how late!
- Finish ironing all the shirts and pants and then put the ironing board away!
- Read through your stack of magazines and then take to your local hospital waiting rooms.
- Give the garage a good sweeping and donate all the extra garden stuff you are not using.
- Wash all the lawn furniture or give it a fresh coat of spray paint.
What will you finish up this Friday?